Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Educon 2.1: A panel discussion

My weekend spent at Educon 2.1 has me floating on the educational cloud and reminded me of why I love teaching and why I love teaching at CAT. As a PLC member I am thrilled with the collaboration and continued commitment of this passionate team who are truly invested in the lives of our students. Our school models the very thoughts of Gary Stager's initial comments in this discussion. Recognize your audience, know your students, form relationships with them. Stager also states that "the one size fits all approach is not working. We need universal public school choice, genuine school choice." We are that school of choice.
"I want our children to be Thoughtful, Wise, Passionate, and Kind" Chris Lehmann.
We want that too! The more we come together toward our common goals as a school community the closer we get to those ideals. Our Professional Learning Community is a step toward that end. Collaboration is the key. Wanting for our CAT kids the same we would want for our own. Seeing them as individuals, all who can learn and celebrating the diversity of their learning.

I also realize that Vocational Education needs a voice. While I value the importance of a college education I think it is not necessarily fair that high schools cattle herd ALL kids toward that end. I believe firmly in providing ALL students with the opportunity to attend post secondary schools but recognize that ALL students are not ready for that right away. What I do know is that ALL communities need a work force and we are providing students in our community with that choice. Have a look:

Making Change Discussion: A Panel Discussion with a group of education leaders about how we can reform our schools in both "big idea" and practical ways. (Chat log from Mogulus)

* David Bromley -- Regional Director, Big Picture Schools
* Chris Lehmann -- Principal, Science Leadership Academy
* Marc Mannella -- Principal, KIPP Philadelphia
* Bette Manchester -- Former State Educational Technology Director, Maine
* Gary Stager-- Executive Director of the Constructivist Consortium
* Mike Wang -- Executive Director of Teach For America Greater Philadelphia
* Moderated by Andy Carvin -- National Public Radio

No comments: